Type : journée d’études.
Date et horaire : 29 juin 2018 .
Lieu : Sir Michael Dummet Lecture Theatre, Christ Church College, University of Oxford.
To commemorate the Winckelmann anniversaries 2017/2018, Christ Church Library is preparing an exhibition and series of events in collaboration with the Faculty of Medieval and Modern Languages, University of Oxford and the Ure Museum of Greek Archaeology, University of Reading. Winckelmann and Curiosity in the 18th-Century Gentleman’s Library explores the scholar’s varied influence on the arts in Britain, through printed media, architecture, and decorative arts. The exhibition will be launched with a symposium on Ideals and Nations: New Perspectives on the European Reception of Winckelmann’s Aesthetics.
Registration information is available here»
10.15 Welcome from Martyn Percy (The Dean of Christ Church), Fiona Gatty (Oxford), and Lucy Russell (Oxford)
10.30 Session 1: Keynote Lecture
• Alex Potts (Michigan), Winckelmann: Historicity and Multiple Temporalities in the Art of Antiquity
11.15 Coffee and Biscuits
11.45 Session 2: France and Italy
• Fiona Gatty (Oxford), Clothing the Ideal: Winckelmann and the Costume Dictionaries of Late 18th-Century France
• Lucy Russell (Oxford), The Winckelmann Dilemma: Italy’s Nationalistic Response, 1755–1834
14.30 Session 3: Germany and England
• TBC, From Winckelmania to the Wehrmacht: Receptions of Winckelmann in the German-Speaking World
• Helen Slaney (Roehampton), Winckelmann in English Travel Writing
15.45 Tea and Biscuits
16.15 Session 4: Keynote Lecture
• Elisabeth Décultot (Halle), History of Art and Ethnology: Winckelmann’s Panorama of the Ancient Peoples and Its Reception in the 18th Century
17.30 Drinks reception to launch the Ure Museum (University of Reading)/Christ Church Library collaborative exhibition Winckelmann in Italy: Curiosity and Connoisseurship in the 18th-Century Gentleman’s Study
19.30 Conference Dinner