Type : Appel à communication
Date limite de l’appel : 30 avril 2017
Date de la manifestation : 28 – 29 septembre 2017
Lieu : Géorgie, Tbilissi
4th International Conference for PhD Students and Recent PhD Graduates, Tbilisi, 28th – 30th September 2017
The fourth international conference for PhD students and recent PhD graduates will focus on cross-cultural dialogue, identity and cultural diversity in culture and art. The topic itself has been a part of our cultural identity, but has not been thoroughly researched due of its complexity.
From antiquity to the present, the history, culture and art of different countries and nations maintains the memory of relations and exchanges of ideas. The reasons for and forms of their relations were different. Whether a peaceful connection, or in some cases invasion and conflict, their coexistence was reflected in different fields of social life, culture and art. In this controversial process, politics, society and people played special roles.
The crossroads as a meeting point of many different states, people, religions and cultures was a very vibrant “place” where unique artistic phenomena were created, where the connections reflected societies, cultures, tastes and fashions. In this cultural diversity each element has a special role.
At our gathering we would like to discuss this topic in a new way from the most interesting and imaginative angles. We invite proposals with new approaches and new perspectives, rethinking old knowledge in relation to cross-cultural relations, cultural diversity and identity.
The topics of the conference include, but are not limited to:
- Crossroads as a meeting point of various cultures:
– Unexpected encounters: cross-cultural dialogue beyond space and time
– Where is the border of identity and cultural diversity?
– Geographical, epochal and cultural borders through the centuries:
similarities and differences between them, historical backgrounds, influences and cultural identity
- Art as one of the main expressions of identity:
– Coexistence and the process of synthesis through the prism of local cultural traditions
– Artists beyond borders
– Designed structures in open space as carries of cultural identities
– Cross-roads as a melting point of ideas
- Memory and memorials:
– Memory, local traditions and foreign influences: idea, content and form
– Places of shared memory. Sacred space and aspects of cultural and religious heritage and inter-faith dialogue
– The role of individuals in the formation of the cultural process through history: rulers, clerics, missionaries, ambassadors and travellers
– Religious diversity and cultural encounters
- What defines identity in the globalisation process?:
– Rules of attraction: uniting and dividing cultural principles between idealization and demonization
– Global and local in work of art or at art exhibitions
– Lost in translation: the limits of cross-cultural dialogue
Proposals should include name, contact information (address, phone number, e-mail), title of the paper, short CV (max. 200 words) and an abstract (in English, max. 400 words) and should be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.